When There's No Tomorrow by H. J. Stephens - A Novel From One of our Members!

I hope everyone will take a moment to congratulate a member of this blogging community, Hadiyah J Stephens, whose book;  When There's No Tomorrow was released this summer! Her story follows the journey of Kalina, a teenage girl struggling to come of age in a post-apocalyptic world which has been devastated by World War 3. Here is the blurb:

80 years ago the worst war in human history started. 
10 years ago it ended. At least that's what the history books say. But everyone knows; history books lie. The war never ended. It's still going; there just aren’t enough people alive anymore to argue. 

My name is Kalina. My father is chief of my people, the Forgotten. The rebel scum, you may know us as. Pirates and swindlers. But we're not. 

We're just people fighting together to make a stand against injustice. Making a stand for our freedom. But it's not that simple; freedom and justice. 

Who chooses what is and what isn't right? Who chooses who lives and who dies?  Someone once asked me, who are we to stop a war? I ask you, who are we not to?

If this book sounds like something you would like to read, you can purchase it from an array of booksellers, including Angus Robertson, AmazonBarnes & Noble, Book Depository, and Xlibris. It is also available on e-reading devices such as Kindle, Kobo, and Nook. Hopefully, the book will be for sale in stores at some point in the near future.

I was interested to hear more about this book, so I wrote to the author with three quick questions - thanks again for your response, Hadiyah!

What inspired you to write this particular story?
 I've always been interested in the political standings and sociological state of the world. One topic that interested me in particular is the state society comes to in time of conflict. This is especially prevalent now with the civil wars through Eastern Europe and the Middle East, the constant destabilization of previous super-powers like the US and the conflict and threats coming from the Asian countries. 

I wrote WTNT to examine how the world would turn out if things kept progressing as they are now. Basically, my story is set in the aftermath of a World War 3, which was a nuclear war that wiped out billions of people. Personally, I think a nuclear war is likely for our future, though I hope that it never happens. But with the disregard of UN laws as is currently being shown in Syria with the chemical warfare, you never know. 

My main hope is that people reading my book become aware of the fact that in less than a hundred years, we could be looking at a very different world, and not in a good way. I didn't want to write about the war itself, there are so many books that already look at big wars in the near future. I wanted to really focus on the results of the war. What happens after. So that's the main reason why I wrote a book on the topic of an apocalyptic future.


As a matter of interest, just how long did it take to get this novel published? 
I began to write WTNT in the 2011 National Novel Writing Month event. In 2012, after about 10 months rest from the story, I began to rework it and finished the final draft in the 2012 NaNoWriMo event. I spent about two months editing and revising and at the start of this year I began to look for publishers. In May I contacted Xlibris, a self-publishing company and started the publishing process. They did the final edit and formatting and on the 9th of July the book was released for purchase. Overall, the whole project start-to-finish took about two years, though the first year was on-and-off with months in between where I didn’t touch the story. 


Lastly, what advice would you give to other young aspiring authors?

The main advice I would give to other authors, young and old, would be to write about something you are passionate about. I wrote about the end of the world because I can see it happening. It's a real thing for me, and I want to help people to work to avoid it. I don't think we can stop it completely, we've gone too far for that, but maybe we can reduce the scale of it. Even if it's by the smallest margin, lives and infrastructure will be saved.    

Authors need to enjoy what they are writing. If they aren't enjoying writing it, then they aren't putting everything into it and the reader will notice. The desire isn't there. You need to have a purpose for writing, (does this story have the capacity to be told?), but you also need to have the will to write it (does this story have the vivacity to be written by you, or will it drag on and become mind-numbing?). 

Thanks again for your input, Hadiyah! Personally, I need as much novel-writing advice as possible, and I thoroughly look forward to reading your book. If anyone is looking for more information, visit the author's website; http://hjstephens.com or general blog, The Written Word.

1 comment:

  1. good interview !
    book review blog ♡ wanderlustfiction.blogspot.com
    personal ♡ aziaanderson.blogspot.com
    *check them out please*

    ReplyDelete